Financial assistance

You may qualify for some of the following types of financial assistance from Work and Income. Your Youth Service provider will work with you to find out if any of these options are suitable for you. There are a number of youth activities or things that you must do to receive these payments.

Youth Payment

Youth Payment is a weekly payment to young people aged 16 or 17 who do not have dependent children, and are in need of financial assistance.

For example, if you're single, you may qualify for Youth Payment if you can’t live with your parents or guardian and get financial support from them or anyone.

Young Parent Payment

Young Parent Payment is a weekly payment for 16 to 19 year old parents who have dependent children, and are in need of financial assistance.

For example, to qualify for Young Parent Payment you may be:

  • 16 or 17 years old, living with your parents or guardian, and they are eligible for Family Tax Credit, or
  • 16 or 17 years old and can't live with your parents or guardian or get financial support from anyone, or
  • 18 to 19 years old with no partner.

Guaranteed Childcare Assistance Payment

If you have a child under five, and are in education, training or work-based learning, you may be able to get the Guaranteed Childcare Assistance Payment (GCAP) to assist with the cost of childcare.

Additional Financial Support

There may be other financial support you can get to help you out from time to time. Talk to your Youth Service provider about what could be available for you. Further information is available on the Work and Income website

You can also spend 5 minutes completing 'Check what you might get' online. It's only a guide, but it will let you see what other help you might be able to get through Work and Income.